Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Longfellow Analysis

The poem I decided to analyze was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's The Arrow and the Song. Although the poem was short and simple, it displayed the embarking style of Romanticism in poetry. Longfellow's various poems only agree with basic Romanticist ideas in this time period. Nature, death, and companionship are typical topics found in these poems. Longfellow effectively displays the Romanticist period in literature.

The Arrow and the Song is a successful attempt at a creative piece. The piece displays standard topics and language that would be typically found in a Romanticist literary work. Longfellow depicts friendship or companionship. This can be a common subject in most literary pieces. I believe Longfellow's relation with a sustaining arrow is quite effective. Although I believe the arrow is an effective aspect of the poem, I believe the poem's length and lack of elaboration confuses some readers. Because of this, I believe the piece lacks some definitive identity. When comparing the specific poem to others in this period, the piece seems to lack originality and overall success. I believe an increase in length and description could obtain a more satisfactory response.

I also noticed that the piece was almost rushed and a bit redundant. Regardless of its length, a poem may have sufficient meaning and satisfaction. I feel that The Arrow and the Song was somewhat unsuccessful in its goal. Although I believe the poem contained various literary aspects that displayed Romanticism, the overall goal was not met. The piece reflects companionship through song and an arrow. I believe the arrow is a good aspect of the poem, and I also enjoyed the deep wording of the piece. I believe Longfellow captured the readers with his melodic structure. Although I believe some usage was effective, the piece could have been executed slightly better. Nevertheless, the poem reflects the Romanticist period in which Longfellow inhabited.

No comments:

Post a Comment