Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Journal #14: Declaration of Vegetarianism

My perception of animal rights is quite strong. For the last three years, I have been an active participant in Peta2. By participating in this organization, I have been able to observe and persuade my opinion toward vegetarianism. After discovering the harms of chicken three years ago, I began to cut it out. In steps I started to cut out various meat products until full vegetarianism was obtained.
Throughout the two and a half years I have been a vegetarian, I have gone through criticism and definitive opinions. I, unlike other vegetarians, respect everyone's decision and opinions toward the diet choice. I do not persecute people for not partaking in a vegetarian diet, nor do I believe everyone should stop eating meat. If treated correctly, I believe the meat industry would be respectable. If animals were not abused and injected with harmful hormones, I would be content with the industry. By collapsing the meat industry, America's economy would deteriorate. This deterioration would not be acceptable, nor would I condone this.
Throughout the three years I have been a vegetarian, I have met various people and groups who all have their own reasons for the diet. Health reasons are quite common. Meat, being the hardest food to digest, is full of harmful hormones which are placed in animals to allow them to grow much faster. These hormones are so toxic that the majority of animals injected with them cannot even walk to the slaughterhouse. The animals have to be pushed off a truck where they are whipped and beaten for not walking. This brings another issue up. Animal rights, which is my main reason for the diet, is very important. Most animals are brutally tortured for not abiding their farmers. Snapping necks, whips, guns, and hormones are wrongfully used on the animals. Most mothers are completely separated from their young. They cry out and a beaten for making any abnormal noises. This is the main problem in the meat industry. I have also hear of another less common reason for the diet-Science. Science depicts evolution and the adaptations of humans throughout time. Humans are herbivores. This is a fact many people are unaware of. Our characteristics vary depending on one's diet. Although humans have the ability to eat meat, digestion is really hard. Humans have a large digestive system which lacks an acid that can easily digest meat. Carnivores can only move their mouths up and down, whereas herbivores may move their mouths up, down, left, and right. Herbivores have only two incisors for some chewing whereas carnivores have all incisors. Whether its science, animal rights, or health issues, all vegetarians have acceptable reasons for choosing that diet. Even if one does not choose a vegetarian diet, I completely respect their decision and will not be offended by it whatsoever.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that this blog was very interesting. I really liked your creative writing style and it kept me very interesting. I liked the idea of writing your blog on vegetarianism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! Of course, being a vegetarian, I completely see where you're coming from. Your support for the cause is very thorough because I have also read most of this information. You make a compelling argument while keeping yourself unbiased as to peoples' diet choices. Nice style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with the support that you included to validate your personal conviction to be a vegetarian. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete