Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Journal #9 Organized Religion

Organized religion can be a controversial conflict among various age groups. Supporters of Christianity can have completely different views then supporters of Buddhism. Throughout history, Catholicism was used as a justifiable excuse to participate in various actions. Many classical pieces (artwork, novels, etc) had religious interpretations. The Bible, being claimed as a holy artifact, is not typically viewed as literature. Strong connections like this can determine one's satisfaction and relation to religion.
Throughout my life, I have opened my psyche to several religions. I believe every religion has a strong aspect, but one organized religion can not determine my interpretation of life and the lord. For sometime, I studied a small amount of Buddhism. Buddhism, being an enlightened and spiritual religion, captured my mind with various topics and ideals. I agreed with Siddhartha Gautama's theory, but I was unaware of the dedication and sacrifices a Buddhist must partake in. The attachment to material things was not a predicament for me, but I was unable to part with close family members and friends. Materials, such as electronics or toys, is one attachment that needs to be taken away. Buddhism allows believes the attachment to beings is a source of suffering. As much as I agree with this theory, I could not part with the ones I strongly care for; thus Buddhism was not a resolution for me.
Like government, I believe one can take various aspects of different religions. I believe traditional ideals may be retrieved from several religions. By retrieving these ideals, a personal religion may be formed. A supporter does not need an organized set of guidelines or artifact to relate to a higher power. The Bible is often seen as a symbol of one's belief in the lord. By using this as a symbol, some supporters do not believe the bible is a piece of literature. Regardless of one's religious preference, each being has an equal right to practice the religion they want to. As long as a supporter believes in their higher power, ultimate religious enlightenment may be found. If one did not believe in an organized religion, there would be nothing wrong.

1 comment:

  1. this is good, you really sounded like you were interested and knew what you were talking about

    ReplyDelete