Friday, September 17, 2010

Journal #8: Proofreading Response

I believe the "Impotence of Proofreading" is an odd, yet somewhat comical lecture on the importance of proofreading. The speaker was quite eccentric and brought about a good point. Although it was a good point that he indeed made, I believe he put too much emphasis on poor grammar. He did not seem to explain the true importance of proofreading and fixing any grammatical errors. This lecture was slightly comical, but almost too far fetched. I believe the speaker could have lessened the amount of errors in his discussion. He did not have a sufficient amount of knowledge on truly proofreading a piece. By not providing this knowledge, the lecture was somewhat fruitless. The speaker had also used too much comedy in his speech. If he lessened the amount of comedy used in his piece, he would obtain more respect and satisfaction from the lecture. The audience quite enjoyed his lecture, which was good, but I do not believe they walked out with any new knowledge of proofreading and grammatical errors. By not explaining the importance of this, the speaker's lecture was almost pointless.
I myself thought the discussion was slightly comical. Although I thought it was funny, I believe he put too many grammatical errors in the lecture. After listening to his discussion, I am now more aware of any grammatical errors. Because of this, I believe the speaker's discussion was somewhat of a success. Although I believe he succeeded in bringing about some commonly used errors, he did not seem to succeed in discussing various solutions to these problems. I believe his incorporation of suggestive themes seemed to break the ice a bit. By breaking this ice, his audience was not offended by the material and seemed to relax themselves a bit. I believe his use of these themes were quite successful. Although the speaker was quite entertaining, I do not believe he was successful in his attempt to resolve any issues among proofreading. He provided the audience with adequate knowledge of the errors, but he did not aid in any resolutions to these problems.

1 comment:

  1. If the speaker proofread his piece, I'm sure the discussion would be successful. Proofreading is really very important, taking the time to do that helps us to avoid mistakes.
    legal translation services

    ReplyDelete