Monday, August 23, 2010

Quotes

“I would like to go. If I cannot fish with you, I would like to serve in some way.”

I enjoy this quote for several reasons. This quote was stated by Manolin after he discovered that Santiago was going to embark on his journey. Just before this quote, the old man told Manolin to “go play baseball.” By saying this, Santiago conveys Manolin as a young child who cannot handle the rough sea. I do not believe Santiago should have said this to Manolin. I believe he should have as much faith in Manolin as the child has in himself. When Manolin stated the quote I have above, it showed that the boy was extremely loyal and caring. He longed to serve Santiago on the sea. I believe he would make a great fisherman one day because he is optimistic and quite loyal to his goals. Santiago made a mistake by not allowing the boy to come with. If Manolin were to come on the sea with Santiago, the large marlin could possibly be caught. I believe it is quite noble that Manolin would ask Santiago to serve him in some way. By saying this, Manolin established trust in their relationship.

“Fish…I’ll stay with you until I am dead.”

Santiago stated this during his battle with the marlin. This is the beginning of Santiago’s protection of the marlin. Santiago will not allow the fish to escape or die out of his grasp. He would like to have the fish and the respect that will come with the capture. I enjoy this quote because it begins to show Santiago’s loyalship toward the trip and the fish. He truly wants to capture the fish and make a name for himself. I believe by establishing a companionship with the marlin, he could pass some time and catch the fish easier. It gives the old man something to do and it allows him to make another goal. This goal would be to take the fish back to shore in his arms.

1 comment: