Monday, August 23, 2010

Quotes 3

“I wish the boy was here.”

Throughout the novel, Santiago wishes that his young companion, Manolin, was on the fishing trip with him. Santiago insisted that Manolin stay behind because he did not want the boy to get hurt or endangered. I believe it is courageous that Manolin insisted on coming with Santiago on the trip. Although Manolin was not allowed to fish with Santiago anymore, the boy continues to ask Santiago if he could come with. I like how Manolin enjoys fishing and helping the old man out. I believe this is noble and he should be commended for his loyalty and respect toward Santiago.

"If you’re not tired, fish…you must be very strange."

I enjoy this quote for several reasons. The fish has become a prominent character throughout the novel. Because of his purpose in the novel, Santiago begins to interact and communicate with the fish. I enjoy this quote because he talks to the fish. After being around him for quite some time, I believe Santiago began to enjoy the fish and their struggle. This aspect of the novel makes it quite intriguing and entertaining. I believe the loyalty toward the fish is quite amusing.

Another reason why I enjoy this quote would have to be because of the struggle the fish and Santiago had to endure. This ongoing battle seemed to take a lot of energy from both parties. When the old man asks the fish why he is not tired, it seems to show how much struggle and strength was put into the battle between the fish and the old man. Although the battle is amusing and exciting, readers may feel tired and worn out as well. I believe this is due to Hemingway’s effective imagery and descriptive language. This language allows the readers to feel as if they are truly inside of the novel. I believe this quote signifies the struggle and long battle that the fish and the old man had to endure.

1 comment: