Monday, August 23, 2010

Quotes 2

“I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing…They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”

I believe this quote is important to the novel. The quote shows some of Santiago’s sentimentality. As well as the quote’s sentimentality, it also shows a significant figure in Santiago’s life which is quite odd because his character is so reserved and focused on his occupation. I enjoy this quote because of its emotions and its ability to unlock doors in the world of the Old Man and the Sea.

Santiago is a reserved fisherman who does not seem to admire anyone. After reading this line, I was surprised that Santiago had actually found someone who he truly admired and respected. Joe DiMaggio seems to be Santiago’s childhood hero. He also enjoys the face that DiMaggio’s father was a fisherman as well. I believe this relation makes Santiago feel more comfortable about his position in society. Santiago does not feel that it is negative to be a fisherman because the great Joe DiMaggio’s father was one. I enjoy this because I feel that Santiago needs more self confidence and pride in himself and his occupation.

This quote shows that Santiago feels emotions and happiness. Throughout the novel, Santiago daydreams of DiMaggio. He dreams of DiMaggio aboard his ship helping out. I believe Santiago needs some company during the duration of the catch. He deserves some company and these dreams seem to give him that company. I also enjoy the fact that Santiago has a strong admiration toward a specific being. This is quite intriguing because he seems to not care for anyone or anything but his fishing. I believe this quote shows another side to Santiago which is quite important to the characters personality. Santiago is reserved and seems to have no emotions. With this line, readers gain a new perception of the old fisherman and his unfortunate life.

1 comment:

  1. I love these blog entries analyzing quotations from the story - excellent work!

    ReplyDelete