Monday, August 23, 2010

Quotes 4

“Stay at my house if you like, bird…I am sorry I cannot hoist the sail and take you in with the small breeze that is rising. But I am with a friend.”

This quote is quite amusing. I believe the quote is amusing because Santiago is interacting with the bird. He speaks to the bird as if he is speaking to a human being. I enjoy this interaction because it shows Santiago’s compassion and love for others in the world. This is another style used by Hemingway to intrigue his audience. I think Hemingway is effective in doing this. Although the characters are quite amusing, Hemingway created a somewhat imaginative environment with the various characters in the novel. I believe this quote is infatuating because Santiago is treating the bird fairly. He even offers to be a host or friend if the bird needs one. This is somewhat comical because the bird cannot obviously do regular human being activities. With this conversation, Santiago seems to long for a companion. He also brings up the fact that he is struggling with the large marlin. The fact that he brings up his struggle with the fish makes the situation more appealing. I like how Santiago is being compassionate toward the other creatures on the sea. This displays his kind hearted and friendly personality.

Hemingway used the character of Santiago to show a compassionate and loyal aspect of the novel. His purpose in the novel was very effective and it made the sea less redundant and humdrum. I believe Santiago used his nice personality to gain friends. I am surprised that Santiago is as compassionate and friendly as he is. Most people who are taunted on a daily basis are not as friendly and loyal as Santiago is. This good attitude that Santiago displays makes the novel more friendly and appealing. I believe Santiago is lonely on the sea and he uses the creatures around him to feed his loneliness. This quote is effective at showing the imaginative side to the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment